Pages

09 November 2010

Life...

Well, I haven’t written in a long time because my life has been kind of…unpredictable. At least it felt like it was, looking back it wasn’t so bad, but for some reason since I wasn’t sure exactly what we were doing or where we would be it was hard to write.

Basically, my husband Gabe and I decided to move overseas and teach English, so after some months of preparation, we flew to Prague where we did a TEFL/TESOL certification course. We were going to teach either in Prague or maybe in Turkey (Gabe used to live there), but then a good friend of mine got a hold of us and asked us to come see him. We went and visited him in Germany and he convinced us to come and stay with him and his community of artists for a while. So we did. It seemed like a crazy change in plans, especially because we couldn’t teach in Germany (complicated immigration laws etc etc), so we wouldn’t be making any money. But, it has worked out great. We have been here about a month, we’ve made some good friends and got to be a part of their energy and creative excitement, and it has been a very rewarding experience because we were able to trade working for room and board. So we get up early, walk through a fantastically beautiful German forest to the “castle” where the day’s activities commence (its more of an old mansion, but they call it the castle), clean, do yard work, and cook, and spend time with really fun and talented people. Also, one of the best things is that we met Mark, who has amazing contacts for TEFL teaching in Cairo, Egypt, and is helping us plan to get started working there. So we are off to Cairo in two weeks! I am so excited; I even made my husband watch Raiders of the Lost Ark with me (I know I know…I just HAD to). I have never been to Africa before, and we get to see one of the ancient 7 wonders of the world, and ahhhh its just so exciting! So that’s an update of what we have been doing and are about to do and I am determined to blog more from now on.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness amaris! this is so exciting, i had been wondering where you went to and why you weren't writing. but seriously, i was not expecting this. i'll be praying for you both and hoping the best for your travels and experiences together. blessings on you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! I am trying to do better at keeping this up :)

    ReplyDelete